Plastic garbage is found everywhere, from the Arctic to the Antarctic, on the surface and in the sediment. Plastic contamination has been identified as a global issue in both freshwater and marine habitats.
Plastic waste is thought to account for 60–80 percent of marine litter, with 90–95 percent in some areas. Land-based sources account for 80% of plastic pollution, with ocean-based sources accounting for the remaining 20% (fishing nets, fishing ropes).
Illegal dumping (mismanaged plastic trash) and insufficient waste management are the two most significant land-based sources. Plastic output has risen to over 400 million tonnes globally, and non-degradable plastic makes up 73 percent of litter in any aquatic area, with roughly half of it being discarded after a single usage.
Plastic trash is a new contaminant that does not biodegrade quickly and can linger in the aquatic environment for a long time, an estimated 5 trillion bits of plastic are drifting in the world's waters.
BIODIVERSITY AND ECONOMICS THREATS
Invertebrates, birds, mammals, and turtles, as well as salt-marsh grasses and corals, can be entangled in large plastic items like discarded fishing rope and nets. Plastic ingestion by aquatic creatures is one of the most serious environmental consequences in the aquatic environment. Many creatures (like whales, turtles, seabirds, and fish) consume plastic fragments, which can build up in their digestive system. Plastic swallowed can cause physical harm or intestinal blockage, which can lead to illness, hunger, and death.
There are a number of steps that may be taken to mitigate the concerns and risks posed by plastic trash and pollution, including ↓
A NEW LIFE FOR OCEAN'S WASTE
We always have our beloved seas and oceans in mind while producing our range of products, not just our sunglasses. This is why our cases are made with a special elastane derived from the recycling of fibres coming from fishing nets recovered by the sea. Moreover, all the internal clothing of these cases is made of materials deriving from the recycling of PET plastic bottles. To go even further, we decided to produce our microfibre cloth for lens cleaning with 100% recycled PET from plastic bottles.